How to make the most of your commute time: podcasts, healthy eating, and more
The word commute can conjure up stressful images of honking horns or sticky tube carriages.
However, your commute time can also be an opportunity to be productive or creative, stimulating yourself both mentally and physically.
Whether you take public transport, walk, or drive to work, Berocca looks at the best ways to make the most of your morning routine and your commute…
If you commute by train, bus, or other forms of transport...
Public transport can be uncomfortable, busy and claustrophobic, so keeping yourself occupied can help to distract you the more unpleasant elements of the rush hour experience, whilst also giving you the opportunity to be productive.
Here are just a few things you can do to make your morning commute a pleasure rather than chore:
- Reading – it goes without saying that a commute by public transport is the perfect time to get some quality reading in – but we’re going to say it anyway! Whether reading the news or a piece of absorbing fiction, the morning commute is a perfect time for you to catch up on the world or escape to a fantasy one.
- Create a to do list – by preparing for the day ahead during your commute, you will be able to get started quickly when you finally reach work. To do lists help to organise your brain and give you goals to achieve throughout the day.
- Learn a language – whilst at first this may seem daunting, there are plenty of great apps which make learning a new language a fun experience. What better way to utilise your time commuting than immersing yourself in a different culture, learning valuable skills along the way?
- Clear your inbox – this can take a substantial amount of your time at work so, if you have pressing deadlines, using your commute to check your emails can provide you some vital extra minutes to get the really pressing work done.
If you commute by walking...
Walking is a great form of exercise, so by choosing the more active option for your commute, you are already ahead of the curve! Whatever your age, walking is always a good idea as it strengthens your heart, clears your head and saves you money.
Whilst walking to work, you could also:
- Listen to a podcast – the past few years have been an amazing time for podcasts. Whatever your interests, you’re sure to find something to entertain or inform you on your commute.
- Chat to family and friends – having a conversation with your nearest and dearest before entering the workplace will help remind you there is a world outside the office walls!
Something for everyone during their commute time
Whatever your commute, there are still ways to make the most of your time to brighten up your morning routine. They include:
- Music – listen to your favourite artist, a radio show or even some relaxing meditative melodies. Music helps engage your brain whilst also having a relaxing effect.
- Be mindful – living in an age of technology where everything is constantly on the go means that we very rarely schedule time to reflect or simply do nothing. Whilst we’ve given you ways to make your commute time productive, taking time to be alone and within yourself also has benefits.
A final thing you could do on your commute is eat or drink something healthy – snack on a piece of fruit and take a Berocca which is rich in B vitamins, including vitamin B12 which is proven to help release energy so you can make the most of your day.